Sunday 13 April 2008

Kitchen Capers #2

Friday was actually quite a good day.

Dr Squirrel and I went out for a walk in Watergate Park, a popular dog-walking spot not far from where we live, which gives way to the slightly more daunting Washingwell Woods as you venture further in.



Predictably, Dr Squirrel went a little wild with the camera, taking some more rather cool close-up shots.



Some moss growing on a fallen log here.


While here we have a close up of the texture inside a fallen tree. Good work, it looks almost edible.

I got in on the action too, and tried my best to come to terms with something called "Macro Mode", which seems designed to allow you to be pretentious whenever you feel like it.


Here we have a close up of some grassy leaves, and here....


a close-up of a rather wobbit-looking dandelion. I'm obviously not in the same league as Dr Squirrel, but I was still rather chuffed.

While we were out in the woods, I had a strong and irrational feeling that my little nephew was going to be born very soon, slightly early. So far, no go with that, but we're still waiting!

Afterwards, when we got home, I made a quick pumpkin cake. This was somewhat experimental, as I haven't actually made a cake with pumpkin before, but I had a spare tin left over from the stash I had acquired in the USA last year and I thought, why not.

The pumpkin seemed to inhibit the proper rising of the cake, so it looked a little delapidated, and I was somewhat worried that this would have to be one of those recipes that was "put down to experience". However, when everything calmed down, despite not looking like a frontpiece for a Delia book, it turned out to taste very nice indeed - spicy and moist. Still, next time I'm probably going to go with grated apple and save myself the hour of worry.

This post won't tolerate any more pictures, I think, so I'll post the cake pictures in the next post.

No comments: