Monday 3 November 2008

Tomorrow's World?

"Rosa Parks sat so that Martin Luther King could walk. Martin Luther King walked so that Obama could run. Obama's running so that we all can fly. I can't wait until 5 November and I'm going to say 'Hello, Brother President'. I can't tell you who to vote for. All I can do is tell you to vote."

Jay-Z, rapper


There's a knot in my stomach. Partly it's excitement. Partly it's a vague and leaden kind of fear. Partly it's that most frightening of emotions - hope.

America - deep inside my heart - I believe in you.

I believe in Ginsberg and Kerouac, Steinbeck and Miller. I believe in Tarantino. I believe in Loving v Virginia. I believe in Steven Spielberg. I believe in Matt Groening. I believe in Woodward and Bernstein, Rawls and Dworkin, Marshall Mathers, Edward Hopper, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ben Cardozo. I believe in John Denver, Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette, in the First Amendment, in Abe Lincoln, in Santa Monica pier. I believe in Mrs Parks and Dr King and Senator Obama.

There's a knot in my stomach. And I know that it will not ease until the early hours of Wednesday, when we shall know if the sun is rising on a new world.

No comments: