Monday 2 March 2009

Mental Illness and the UK - A Culture of Respect, Concern and Compassion

An article from the BBC website, this Friday just gone:


"ARREST OF ASBO 'SUICIDE' WOMAN

A woman given an Asbo for making repeated suicide attempts was arrested near cliffs just hours after failing to overturn the order, it has emerged.

Emergency services were called out near Aberystwyth last Friday to Amy Beth Dallamura, 45, of Hove, Sussex.

Aberystwyth magistrates had refused to lift her anti-social behaviour order (Asbo) just hours earlier.

A previous court hearing heard how she had cost emergency services nearly £1m after they had rescued her 50 times.

Ms Dallamura moved to live with relatives in Hove in September last year.

But she returned to Aberystwyth, where she once lived, on 20 February to try to persuade magistrates to lift the Asbo which banned her from going in the sea, onto beaches or the promenade in the town.

The refused, saying it would remain in place until further notice.

But later that day shortly before midnight, Dyfed-Powys Police, the ambulance service and the coastguard were called to Borth, near Aberystwyth.

Ms Dallamura was on cliffs near the village, said police. She was arrested, but was released without charge.

Earlier that day in court, she apologised for the concern she had caused in Aberystwyth.

But she argued that her Asbo was 'no longer necessary'.

Temporary Chief Inspector Mark James of Aberystwyth police said: 'We received a report from the ambulance service that they had been alerted to her being on the cliffs over Borth. It was outside the area from which she is excluded. She was arrested and released without further action.'

The Asbo was imposed for an indefinite period in January 2006 after Ms Dallamura, a former golf professional, made repeated suicide attempts.

She had waded out to sea and leapt off piers, jetties, rocks and cliffs when she lived in the Ceredigion seaside town.

Ms Dallamura breached her Asbo in 2007 and received a two-year supervision order
."



I just don't think I have the words. We live in a society where mental health is seen as a priority only insofar as its effects "bother" other, "normal" people. We get headlines about Schizophrenia when an affected individual commits a violent act against someone else, bemoaning that they weren't locked up or "controlled" better. We get tabloid articles, and occasional ignorant and grossly misinformed comments from politicians, about how Clinical Depression either doesn't exist, or is best treated by the affected individual "pulling their socks up" and getting on with it. We are constantly reminded how much "these people" cost the NHS, the Benefits System, and the country generally, with the clear implication that "they" are lazy, work-shy, good-for-nothings sponging off decent ordinary folks.

And now, we have a woman in dire need who should be getting truckloads of medical help and resources thrown at her, effectively criminalized for being sick.

Mental Health services vary wildly depending on where you live, and how far you are able to advocate assertively for yourself (something, by the way, that is often particularly hard for people with mental health problems). My own experience of this patchy provision includes having to re-explain my situation again and again to a series of apparently random doctors and nurses, none of whom spoke English as a first language, and some of whom responded to me in ways which suggested that they only had the most cursory grasp of what I was trying to communicate, before being told to try going to Marriage Counselling.

At the time, I was suicidal, completely incapable of regulating my own mood or taking any control over the vicious cyclical ruminations that completely dominated my consciousness. I made serious efforts to try and get this across to the parade of mildly-bored professionals I had struggled to get the chance to see. On some occasions, my then-husband was with me, and in his frustration and bone-gnawing worry made valiant attempts to put his foot down and prevent them from fobbing me off completely. I was made to feel as though I were seriously wasting everybody's time, and it rapidly got to the stage where I strongly suspected that they didn't actually give a fuck if I lived or died. I wasn't wielding a machete and gibbering about how the voices were telling me to kill kill kill. If anyone died, it would "only" be me - a damaged, pathetic, resource-wasting person. So why invest time and energy?

We ended up concocting fraudulent evidence that we actually lived at my in-laws' address, in order to access better services in a different part of London. If we hadn't done that, I wonder if I would still be alive today.

But then, who cares? If I had thrown myself off a cliff, the only concern would presumably have been for the trouble and expense I was putting people to by necessitating the involvement of the Emergency Services.

My condition is now much better-managed, and I am able to find pleasures and satisfactions in life that I would never have thought possible again eight years ago. But even maintaining this level of stability and functionality is very hard work, and involves the contributions of extensive support services and resources. I am not able to work outside the home, and am therefore dependent on Social Security for my meagre income. That in itself is enough to make me worse than shite in the minds of many people.

Amy Dallamura and I are not pariahs. We are people. We have the same rights to first-rate medical care and simple human respect as anybody else who suffers from a serious illness. My illness has threatened my life, and sometimes I feel as though my society is a little miffed that I survived.

7 comments:

profet said...

I'm glad things are looking up a little for you.

I've had a little experience of mental illness, with my father, and to a lesser extent with myself. I understand the "pull your socks up" comments because to some extent there has to be an element of this in any recovery. But its only a small part of the solution, and it won't work on its own.

The treatment you received, and that Amy Beth Dallamura is recieving is a disgrace to our suposedly civilised country. It doesn't suprise me though - its just a symptom of a sick, over-subscribed badly managed NHS.

You mentioned your "right to first rate medical care". While I would want everyone to have this care, I don't recognise it as a right. A right is something that no one should deny - rather than something that someone should have to provide. I'm not sure if it is possible to provide the standard of care we all want while the number actually paying for it is decreasing and the number wanting to use it is increasing. Its a difficult situation and there is no easy solution. Things can improve but I think there is a fundamental problem.

I unfortunately share your experience of many NHS professional's attitude towards mental illness. They don't have the time or the compassion to deal with things properly. A Counsellor I went to as a student during one particularly miserable time started by asking my if I ever had suicidal thoughts - when I said no, he just lost interest and ended the session five minutes later - he had a room full of people waiting.

Only private psychotherapy, many years later started giving me back some confidence and helpped me keep on top of my moods.

Anyway, once again, I'm glad your seem to be coping with things a little better now.

Lady Lilith said...

Hello, Roy baby! I'm so chuffed you read my blog!!

Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced mental health problems in the past, and in your family.

My family too has a history of this. I basically lost my father to depression and the drug addiction that it led him to fall into.

I understand your point about the "right" to medical care. I don't really want to debate whether medical care is a "right" or not - that's for another blog post, methinks.

My point was more that, insofar as first rate medical care IS considered a right, that should apply to people with mental health problems just as much as to people with physical health problems.

If somebody with cancer or cystic fibrosis or a mobility disability was denied good care, made to fight for even basic care, left with the feeling that the doctors would rather they crawled away home and died rather than taking up resources, and made to feel like scum because they couldn't take up paid employment, the general public would be up in arms. There would be a hundred "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" letters in the Telegraph and the tabloids, talks of a "national disgrace" and a general feeling that giving these people what they deserved was EXACTLY the sort of thing that taxes SHOULD be spent on.

That all changes when the life-threatening condition or long-term disability in question is a mental health problem.

Suddenly you're the scrounging scum, the psycho, the nutcase, the lazy cunt, the waster of decent people's resources.

It is definitely a double standard, and it is very wrong.

Vinni said...

Good to have you back :).

While people believe that mental health problems are something you can snap out of, they are vulnerable to becoming ill themselves.

So many people lead lifestyles that neglect their mental health because they don't take the risk seriously. Learning to live happy, balanced and fulfilling lives needs to become part of the school curriculum, as early as possible. Less of the "study like mad now and you're life will be wonderful forever" nonsense.

I abused over the counter sleeping pills for four years before I went nuts.

For me, its like having a storm in my mind. So much noise; banging, chattering and ringing - total randomness. And while this is going on, the whole world changes around me. Everything looks 2D, peoples faces become unfriendly, I feel that they are staring at me and have clear and distinct thoughts of their opinions - all of which unfavourable. I lose the ability to read, and a really bad times, fail to understand simple conversations.

It was years of being passed from one consultant to another before I had the courage to describe some of my crazier symptoms. Its hard to open up to someone who has a fragile grasp of the English language about things that could get you shipped of to the funny farm.

Finally, I was put on olanzapine, an antipsychotic. Unfortunately, it makes me eat like a pig, but it makes my life about a million times easier. I can do a full working week now :)

I came off it for a couple of months (because of the weight gain) and was given a sharp reminder of the medical communities attitude towards mental health.

I ended up two nights without any sleep and bordering on crazy, crying, shaking and begging at the counter of the night and day chemist at 9pm on a Thursday night.

They made me write my name and address down on a piece of paper so they could check their database for any records of previously dispensed drugs.

Then young woman came forward and declared that the database only went back to April last year. She asked me what I needed and when I told her, her attitude changed completely. Whilst standing in front of me making more indirect statements, she proceeded to tear up the piece of paper I had written my name on. I felt angry, helpless and foolish.

Anyway, I agree, people need to understand that mentally ill implies not being able to help yourself, needing an intervention, not punishment.

Aren't we (as a society) more likely to suffer mental health problems than develop cancer? And yet, people are more concerned with changing their diets and lifestyles to avoid cancer, rather than avoid mental health problems.

With depression, you can be in the most beautify place on earth with the most loving and intelligent people and still be in hell. With good mental health, you can brave the most harrowing experiences with courage and confidence.

I believe that once you've been there, it’s a lifetime battle to keep your head above the water. You've gone past your elastic limit.

The "normal" people need to be warned. ;-)

Lady Lilith said...

Vinni dear, who are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Vinni said...

Its Rav. I'm tring to resurrect my school nickname. I had forgotton how much I enjoyed being called "Vinni", until recently.

Anyway, nice to see you're writing again :)



xxx

Lady Lilith said...

Nice to see YOU, Vinni!

Unknown said...

Amy has a disorder of personality