Wednesday 2 April 2008

Response To A Response

Yesterday, a rather lovely lady named Lisa, who also happens to be my sister-in-law, left this comment on my post about judaism and me.

Lisa's comment brought up some issues, so today's post is, as it were, a response to her response. So thanks, Leez, my blog is no longer a monologue, but a dialogue. I feel a warm glow of satisfaction already.


Dear Lisa

Thank you for the comment you left on yesterday's blog post about me and judaism.

In it, you say that you would like to see me draw up "a little table" with ticks and crosses next to various aspects of judaism (religious, practical and cultural) indicating which of those aspects I agree and disagree with. In response to reading your comment, I actually, and I mean immediately, began to do just that - opening up a new document on Word Pad and beginning a series of little lists. I started with "Religious" aspects (under the uber-heading of Lisa's Little Judaism Table), with monotheism, rather predictably, being the first item on the list.

Here's the thing. Rather than putting a tick or a cross, or even the word yes or the word no, next to my emboldened Monotheism, I double-returned and, without even thinking about it, began to type. I typed the following:

"I do not literally believe in a god or gods as people usually think about them. However, the concept of holiness is meaningful to me. The idea that there is something, however abstract, that binds everything together, and brings meaning out of the chaos."

At this point I stopped, took a metaphorical step back, and looked at what I had just written, realising that if I had not paused and checked myself, I would have carried on typing, probably for pages and pages, about what I mean by the word god and how I understand the concept of sacredness and my personal vision of the spiritual and the story of exactly how I became interested in exploring judaism.

My point is this. Monotheism, and brit milah, and covenant, and peoplehood, and davening, and mikveh and shekhina are not fixed, easily-defined, uncontroversial, free-standing, uncontextualized concrete things that I can put a tick or a cross next to. It just isn't that simple. Or at least, it doesn't seem to be for me. I could probably write you essays on each one of them; on how I see them, on how they relate to me.

Here's the good news though. I am going to write all those essays, and explore all these issues - and I'm going to do it right in front of you. That is a big part of what this blog is about. Exploring judaism and its relationship to me. So please don't think I'm ducking out of the challenge by failing to produce the little table. I'm not. It's just that the table is going to end up being a whole lot bigger than envisaged.

I also hope that my interest in judaism, and indeed, my potential future conversion to judaism, will not represent any kind of spiritual or intellectual exclusivism on my part. Here I'm referring to the lovely Ravi Shankar quote with which you ended your comment. I understand that I am me, and that I will never be anything else. I understand that I will never be anywhere other than where I am, anywhen other than the present moment. I understand that the universe is very big, and that meaning is very personal. I'm not trying to buy my way out of that. I'm not trying to buy my way out of the complexity, of the reality, of the complicatedness. For me, judaism is the first category of spiritual journey that has let me feel that I don't have to compromise those things. That I don't have to be less than me, and that I don't have to pretend that life is something it isn't, in order to belong.

Again, I will come back to all these things later, I'm sure.

Anyway, thanks once again for what you wrote, and I hope that my future dialectic meanderings live up to my promise to fully and honestly explore the issues you raise.

3 comments:

Daniel Plainview said...

You're not a jew. You're not even a fucking monotheist, no matter how long an essay you write on it. You're not even a theist. You have never been persecuted (although fuck knows why not). You don't even have a big nose, and your chicken soup leaves a lot to be desired. Go home. Eat some dinner.

Get over it.

N

Daniel Plainview said...

It strikes me that while the wheel's still turning, the hamster's dead.

Or has it just gone out for bagels & cream cheese?

;-)

N

Lisa said...

"I am me and will never be anything else... I will never be anywhere other than where I am, anywhen other than the present moment. I understand that the universe is very big, and that meaning is very personal."

Pity that these understandings are diametrically opposed to Jewish teaching. In which you are a subject of adonai elohainu, master of the universe, hallowed be his name. In which everything you do is merely collateral towards that day when your earthly actions are weighed up in the Book of Life. A Jewish way of life is not about living in the present, darling, it's about punishment and reward from Hashem. You can revise it with as much personal wisdom as you like; you have to recognise you're bringing all that with you, and it's at odds with the religion you're claiming to identify with.

Fundamentally, you're playing religious tourist. You're sampling the food and the welcoming aspects of the religion you're visiting, and then going home to your personal philosophy at the end of the day. And that's not a problem at all - it just doesn't warrant conversion, any more than having a favourite and beloved Indian restaurant warrants emigration to India.

That's why my question at the end of my last response was: WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? (if you answer one question from this response, let it be that one. And don't claim nothing. Or you wouldn't be trying on Judaism for size) Best to be honest about what you're looking for. What is it?

Is it a sense of belonging? I can't help thinking that you'd be blessed with MORE of a sense of belonging as a self-respecting atheist with a fondness and affinity for Jewish culture than as a convert (Jews are notoriously critical of converts; the requirements of converts is MUCH more stringent than of anyone born into Judaism, ironically. Unless you're into monthly mikveh visits and kashrut and joining the Bnoth Zion and collecting money for Israel, you can expect to be treated to a lifetime of social sniping.)

Then again, I'm really not sure what you mean by converting or how you intend to go about it. A rabbi can't say a magic spell over you and then declare you Jewish. Conversion involves an arduous process of studying Jewish history and law and practices - and having your adherence to the laws and practices monitored very stringently. Are you actually up for it?

Never mind the double standard that I will be Jewish til the day I die despite disregarding the whole bangshoot. You want to be Jewish the way some Brits want to be Italian or French. Thing is, you can love a culture as much as you like. If you don't go live in the country and give up your home base, speak the language and integrate with the people there, you simply can't claim to be doing anything more than just visiting.